Please review these guidelines and regulations before applying as a vendor. There are no vendor fee refunds for any reason, including severe weather closures. Please make the time to read our rules carefully before applying. We have listed our rules below for your convenience and your customer’s safety.
Guidelines for Our Vendors and Others
The South Milwaukee Downtown Market is committed to working in partnership with our vendors to ensure a successful and profitable experience. These rules will ensure a better market for everyone. If you have any questions about these regulations, please contact the Market Manager, at 414.499.1568 or by email email@example.com.
- All vendors and the products they sell, are subject to the approval of the South Milwaukee Downtown Market committee. This helps to avoid saturation of products and provide a variety of vendors for our customers.
- The market is held rain or shine. There are no vendor fee refunds for any kind of weather closure. (see Weather Closures and Safety below)
- If vendor cannot attend a particular market, you must inform the market manager by 10 a.m. on the day of the market. Either by calling the market manager directly at 414.499.1568 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to do so more than 3 times will result in dismissal from the market and forfeiture of all fees.
- To avoid vendor saturation or duplication of items, only items listed on your vendor application may be sold. Items not listed, will have to be removed or approved by the market manager.
- Produce vendors must list their growing locations.
- Produce Reselling: A limited amount of “out of season” reselling may be allowed only if you inform the market committee and let your customers know if asked where the product comes from.
- Please list where you farm because we track this data and may inspect your farming area.
On-Site Regulations, Parking and Tent Safety
- No generators are allowed at the market because of noise.
- Vendors may begin setting up at 12:00 p.m. each Thursday. No earlier. Vendors must be ready to sell by 3pm.
- Vendors must remove vehicles from the market areas by 2:30 p.m. There will be no exceptions to this rule. Vendors arriving after 2:30 p.m. will need to carry all items to their booth area. This is for customer safety.
- All vendors need to provide their own tents, tent weights, tables, chairs and extension cords.
- Vendors must sell until 7 p.m. No early tear down is permitted.
- Outdoor market Vendors should use an EZ-Up-style tent
- Minimum 25-pound weight per leg is required, which is to be secured at ground level to keep tents stable in high wind conditions. This rule will be enforced.
- All vendors need to provide their own tents, tent weights, tables, chairs & extension cords.
Vendor Parking: (outdoor market)
- A limited number of booths include vendor parking directly behind them.
- No other vehicles will be allowed on the selling grounds. Additional vendor parking is provided nearby. Contact the market manager for more information.
Liquid Dumping: City Ordinance with $250 fine: There will be no dumping of liquids (including water) of any kind on market grounds, storm drains, or neighboring business properties. Only one warning will be given before dismissal.
Open Flame: Grills, fryers, and open flames must be corralled and extension cords must be clearly marked and secured for pedestrian safety. Vendors with open flame grills and fryers are required to have charged fire extinguishers in their booth. Vendors can’t have a grill that uses charcoal or wood chips to grill with. Grills fueled by gas only.
All grills and fryers need to be on the sidewalk directly behind your booth and someone has to be attending and watching the items at all times to maintain safety standards.
Food Trucks: At this time Food Trucks are not allowed at our market. We welcome hot food vendors to set up like all other prepared food vendors with a tent and equipment.
Indoor Market Space Rules:
- We have reconfigured the indoor market space to no more than 1 space per person/vendor. Because of the popularity of our indoor markets, we quickly sell out 6 months in advance. We cannot guarantee spaces next to another vendor.
- The market manager assigns all spaces at the indoor markets. You may request a certain size space but there is no guarantee.
- No early tear-downs. All vendors participating in our indoor markets must stay setup until end of each show. If we see early tear down before the market closing time you will not be invited to future markets.
- Extension cords cannot be in pedestrian walk ways. Extension cords must be covered with appropriate tape to avoid tripping hazards to vendors and pedestrians.
- VENDOR PARKING (indoor market) Quickly unload and repark your vehicle, so other vendors may unload. Vendors must park in the designated vendor parking area.
- Please leave the closest parking area for your customers. Happy customers = more profits for you.
Health Department Regulations
- Live animal sales are prohibited.
- The South Milwaukee Downtown Market strongly encourages that all produce is personally grown by the vendor(s) selling it. We may inspect garden plots and farms.
- Alcohol, tobacco, e-cigarettes, vape, and firearm sales are not allowed.
- Food and produce vendors must follow South Milwaukee Health Department regulations, obtain any necessary permits and pay any applicable fees. For more information on vendor licensing, contact South Milwaukee Health Department at 414-768-8055.
- Questions? We encourage our vendors to call the South Milwaukee Health Department at 414.768.8055 with any questions or interpretation of changing laws. They want our vendors to succeed and are here to help you interpret the laws and ordinances.
- Non-profit Vendors are allowed upon approval of the market committee.
- The market has free booths available to local non-profit groups like scouts, churches, schools, and local charitable organizations. Fill out the Vendor application for the market you wish to attend and send in with no money. Non-profit vendors must be approved by the committee.
- Non-profits will receive up to 3 free days during the summer market and will be put in space that is available on any given day.
- Non-profit Vendors must follow all market rules and regulations on set up and market hours.
- No early tear-downs are allowed.
- All non-profits using the full 3 days are not guaranteed to be in the same spot each time for this discount.
- Before applying, it is highly recommended that non-profit groups first contact the Market Manager at 414.499.1568 or by email@example.com to determine if nonprofit space is available.
Waiver, Hold Harmless, Indemnification and Release
Vendors (which shall mean any farmer, vendor, participant, or entity of the seller’s employees, agents, or volunteers, including family members: and their heirs and assigns) that are being provided selling space at the South Milwaukee Downtown Market, agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Vendor on behalf of all potential claimants, including but not limited to heirs, personal representatives or assigns, indemnifies, waives, releases, and discharges the South Milwaukee Downtown Market, the City of South Milwaukee (owner of the lot), School District of South Milwaukee, Caterpillar and all of their officers, staff, employees and volunteers from any and all liability for personal injury, death, property damage, and economic loss arising from, or in any way connected to the South Milwaukee Downtown Market. Which waiver includes but is not limited to any liability, costs, or loss associated with Vendor going to, coming from, or performing services, work or activities at or in relation to the South Milwaukee Downtown Market.
- Vendor hereby assumes all liability and financial responsibility for any accident, injury, death, property damage, or economic loss resulting from Vendor’s failure to comply with the South Milwaukee Downtown Market rules, especially, but not limited to health and safety regulations.
- Furthermore, on behalf of all potential claimants, including but not limited to heirs, personal representatives or assigns, Vendor indemnifies and holds harmless the South Milwaukee Downtown Market, the City of South Milwaukee, School District of South Milwaukee, Caterpillar, and all of their officers, staff, employees and volunteers from and against any and all losses, liabilities, or claims made by other individuals or entities as a result of Vendor’s participation at the South Milwaukee Downtown Market. Vendor also assumes responsibility for paying reasonable attorney’s fees, regardless of the merit or outcome of the action commenced by other individuals or entities because of Vendor’s participation at the South Milwaukee Downtown Market.
Code of Conduct for Market Vendors
- All vendors and their representatives must act in a professional and responsible manner towards customers, fellow vendors, and Market representatives. Remember, you are the faces of the market. All vendors should dress appropriately to conduct business in a professional manner.
- Vendors and their representatives cannot leave the confines of their booth to hawk or promote their products.
- Signage or other displays are not allowed in the aisles because they pose a pedestrian tripping hazard.
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Inappropriate behavior consists of verbal or physical abuse of any type, use of derogatory or discriminatory language, gestures or actions, unwanted invasions of privacy, any form of harassment, racism, sexism, or any other targeted comments which are intended to cause personal offense to another participant either in-person at the market or through social media channels or the violation of any local, state or federal laws, or regulations.
- Incident Reporting: If a vendor or their representatives are involved in, witness an incident at the South Milwaukee Downtown Market, or an event that violates this code of conduct, please let the Market Manager or any member of the Market committee know immediately. Please provide as much information as possible about the incident so that we can make an investigation. Any violations of law should be reported by you to law enforcement authorities.
- The market committee will investigate any reported incidents swiftly and confidentially if possible. The market committee, at our discretion, may act on any reports of inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to removing a participant from the market and/or prohibiting that person from attending future markets or events. The South Milwaukee Market shall not refund any vendor or customer fees.
- Warnings and discharge. Vendors who violate the Code of Conduct will 1) receive a verbal warning; 2) receive a written warning; 3) receive a written third warning and be terminated from the market without refund. If there is an act of violence, immediate discharge will occur, and vendor and their representatives will be terminated from the market without refund.
Weather Closures and Safety
- The summer market is held outdoors and is subject to outside weather conditions. Public safety is our paramount concern. We do not close for rain. Once the market is open, we only close for lightning, microbursts, or tornado warnings. For a predicted extreme heat advisory over 100 degrees, we will call vendors by 9 am the day of market, with our farmers and long-distance vendors receiving the first calls. There are no refunds of vendor fees for weather events.
NSF Checks (Insufficient Funds)
- If a check is returned NSF by our bank, said vendor needs to pay the amount back plus a bounce fee of $25 dollars. If this is not taken care of before the next event, the vendor will not be able to sell. Two NSF in a given calendar year will require a money order, cashier check or cash going forward.
- Any and all questions or disputes of any rules must be sent in writing to the board at PO Box 213, South Milwaukee, WI 53172
Any questions on any rulings by the board or manager needs to be submitted in writing.